Organic certification is a certification process for producers of organic food that ensures quality by proving that specific guidelines have been met. In general, any business directly involved in food production can be certified, including seed suppliers, farmers, food processors, etc. Requirements generally involve a set of production standards for growing, storage, processing, packaging and shipping.
Jerry Dell Farms has been Certified Organic by the NOFA-NY Certified Organic, LLC since 2000.
Some of the requirements include:
- Treated wood, including fence posts, is prohibited where it may come into contact with organic land or animals.
- Land must not have had any prohibited substances (synthetic pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, fertilizers, treated seeds) applied to it for at least three years to be eligible for certification.
- A three-year history on every field and pasture must be submitted. It must include crops grown, and substances applied for the past three years.
- Livestock over six months old must have access to managed pasture with edible forage during the entire grazing season (minimum of 120 days).
- Tail docking is prohibited.
- To market certified organic meat, the slaughterhouse must be certified organic.
- Hay, straw, corn stalks, and other agricultural products used as bedding must be certified organic.
- Develop appropriate housing for animals, including young stock. Animals over 6 months old must have daily access to the outdoors (including winter).
- Believe what you see. The Pork Freezer is full again.... Yep... BACON. OPEN thur... December 11, 2013Believe what you see. The Pork Freezer is full again.... Yep... BACON. OPEN thurs 12-6 & Sat 10-4 […]
- Great Gifts for the cook on your list. MEAT RUBS, HONEY, GRANOLA, ORGANICALLY MA... December 5, 2013Great Gifts for the cook on your list. MEAT RUBS, HONEY, GRANOLA, ORGANICALLY MADE DOG BONES, CARMEL CORN & a Hand made crochet bag to carry it all in(could double as a stocking). Happy Holidays. :) […]
- Have your baking done yet? We have LOTS OF FREE RANGE EGGS for the best tasting... December 5, 2013Have your baking done yet? We have LOTS OF FREE RANGE EGGS for the best tasting treats. Fresh SPINACH and KALE from the greenhouse!!! ORGANICALLY RAISED PRIME RIB ROAST, shallots, garlic, granola. CHEESE!!! Winter hrs. Thurs. 12-6 & Sat. 10-4. Mmmmm […]
- Believe what you see. The Pork Freezer is full again.... Yep... BACON. OPEN thur... December 11, 2013