Organic certification is a certification process for producers of organic food that ensures quality by proving that specific guidelines have been met. In general, any business directly involved in food production can be certified, including seed suppliers, farmers, food processors, etc. Requirements generally involve a set of production standards for growing, storage, processing, packaging and shipping.
Jerry Dell Farms has been Certified Organic by the NOFA-NY Certified Organic, LLC since 2000.
Some of the requirements include:
- Treated wood, including fence posts, is prohibited where it may come into contact with organic land or animals.
- Land must not have had any prohibited substances (synthetic pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, fertilizers, treated seeds) applied to it for at least three years to be eligible for certification.
- A three-year history on every field and pasture must be submitted. It must include crops grown, and substances applied for the past three years.
- Livestock over six months old must have access to managed pasture with edible forage during the entire grazing season (minimum of 120 days).
- Tail docking is prohibited.
- To market certified organic meat, the slaughterhouse must be certified organic.
- Hay, straw, corn stalks, and other agricultural products used as bedding must be certified organic.
- Develop appropriate housing for animals, including young stock. Animals over 6 months old must have daily access to the outdoors (including winter).
- ORGANIC KALE,SWISS CHARD, from our green house. Lots of Pastured beef. RAW MILK... May 10, 2013ORGANIC KALE,SWISS CHARD, from our green house. Lots of Pastured beef. RAW MILK CHEDDAR CHEESE. LAMB GOAT. OPEN Sat. 10-4 […]
- Is any one ready from some FRESH KALE, maybe some SWISS CHARD, but DEFINITELY KA... April 9, 2013Is any one ready from some FRESH KALE, maybe some SWISS CHARD, but DEFINITELY KALE, from ITHACA ORGANICS. this weather makes me want to BBQ!!! How bout you? We have lots of ORGANICALLY RAISED, GRASS FED BEEF, LAMB, & PORK. The FREE RANGE CHICKEN EGGS are PLENTIFUL. MAPLE SYRUP!!! Just cut our 2 yr. old CHEESE!!! Mmmm mmm. See you soon :) Fri 12-6 and Sat […]
- There is a Eagle checking out the fishing in Fall Creek today. What a beautiful,... April 4, 2013There is a Eagle checking out the fishing in Fall Creek today. What a beautiful, majestic bird!!... Wish I could Fly […]
- ORGANIC KALE,SWISS CHARD, from our green house. Lots of Pastured beef. RAW MILK... May 10, 2013