Organic certification is a certification process for producers of organic food that ensures quality by proving that specific guidelines have been met. In general, any business directly involved in food production can be certified, including seed suppliers, farmers, food processors, etc. Requirements generally involve a set of production standards for growing, storage, processing, packaging and shipping.
Jerry Dell Farms has been Certified Organic by the NOFA-NY Certified Organic, LLC since 2000.
Some of the requirements include:
- Treated wood, including fence posts, is prohibited where it may come into contact with organic land or animals.
- Land must not have had any prohibited substances (synthetic pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, fertilizers, treated seeds) applied to it for at least three years to be eligible for certification.
- A three-year history on every field and pasture must be submitted. It must include crops grown, and substances applied for the past three years.
- Livestock over six months old must have access to managed pasture with edible forage during the entire grazing season (minimum of 120 days).
- Tail docking is prohibited.
- To market certified organic meat, the slaughterhouse must be certified organic.
- Hay, straw, corn stalks, and other agricultural products used as bedding must be certified organic.
- Develop appropriate housing for animals, including young stock. Animals over 6 months old must have daily access to the outdoors (including winter).
- SPINACH? I know that grass isn't green, but we have some nice GREEN ORGANIC SPIN... March 29, 2014SPINACH? I know that grass isn't green, but we have some nice GREEN ORGANIC SPINACH from our greenhouse. SMELLS Like GRILLING SEASON!!! We have GRASS FED, ORGANICALLY RAISED BEEF, PORK & LAMB!! EGGS, RAW MILK CHEESE. COME & GET IT!!!! Open today 10-4 […]
- Join us @ the Nutritional Wellness Center and talk to professionals on how to be... March 14, 2014Join us @ the Nutritional Wellness Center and talk to professionals on how to be healthy and well. Next Thursday, March 20. 6-8 pm. I will our Raw Milk Cheddar Cheese made from our pastured, organic cows. See you there :) […]
- Is any one interested in half a beef? Price will depend on bone in or boneless. February 28, 2014Is any one interested in half a beef? Price will depend on bone in or boneless. […]
- SPINACH? I know that grass isn't green, but we have some nice GREEN ORGANIC SPIN... March 29, 2014