Organic certification is a certification process for producers of organic food that ensures quality by proving that specific guidelines have been met. In general, any business directly involved in food production can be certified, including seed suppliers, farmers, food processors, etc. Requirements generally involve a set of production standards for growing, storage, processing, packaging and shipping.
Jerry Dell Farms has been Certified Organic by the NOFA-NY Certified Organic, LLC since 2000.
Some of the requirements include:
- Treated wood, including fence posts, is prohibited where it may come into contact with organic land or animals.
- Land must not have had any prohibited substances (synthetic pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, fertilizers, treated seeds) applied to it for at least three years to be eligible for certification.
- A three-year history on every field and pasture must be submitted. It must include crops grown, and substances applied for the past three years.
- Livestock over six months old must have access to managed pasture with edible forage during the entire grazing season (minimum of 120 days).
- Tail docking is prohibited.
- To market certified organic meat, the slaughterhouse must be certified organic.
- Hay, straw, corn stalks, and other agricultural products used as bedding must be certified organic.
- Develop appropriate housing for animals, including young stock. Animals over 6 months old must have daily access to the outdoors (including winter).
- CHEESE FEST!!!! TOMORROW. 10-5 Sunset View Creamery. Odessa, NY. Here are some c... July 25, 2014CHEESE FEST!!!! TOMORROW. 10-5 Sunset View Creamery. Odessa, NY. Here are some coordinates and directions. GPS coordinates are: Lat 42.312417761012485 Long. -76.78370475769043 4970 County Rd. 14 is located 2 miles south of St. Rt. 224, 17 miles north of St. Rt. 17 (I86), 3 miles East of St. Rt. 14 and 4 miles West of St. Rt. 13. (County Rd. 14 is also known
- DONT FORGET YOUR COOLER!!! CHEESE FESTIVAL. Sat & SUNSET VIEW CREAMERY in Odessa... July 24, 2014DONT FORGET YOUR COOLER!!! CHEESE FESTIVAL. Sat & SUNSET VIEW CREAMERY in Odessa. 10am-5pm. 12 cheese makers. YES, 12!!! Games for kids. Cheese & Beer pairings. Fun for the whole family. Hug a farmer. See you there.
- Plans for Saturday? How about checking out the health fair
2415 N. TRIPHAM... July 17, 2014Plans for Saturday? How about checking out the health fair 2415 N. TRIPHAMMER RD. ITHACA, NY 14850 SAT. July 19th, 2014 11 AM – 2 PM www.ithacachiropractic.com FREE Give AwaysFREE Massages FREE Green SmoothiesFREE Face Painting FREE VitaminsFREE Food Sampling Ithaca Family Chiropractic | Chiropractor | Ithaca, NYwww.ithacachiropractic.comDr. Brian, the Chiro
- CHEESE FEST!!!! TOMORROW. 10-5 Sunset View Creamery. Odessa, NY. Here are some c... July 25, 2014